
New Yarn for your pleasure! I'm calling this one tropical storm. It's 100% merino dyed with (of course) kool-aid. It's about 108 yards. I'm not sure if this will be up on ebay or if I'm going to keep it to myself :)

Here is a detailed view of tropical storm, isn't it yummy!

This is some autumn harvest roving I dyed last night. It's about 4 oz. I know I'm keeping this for myself when it's done. I might try duplicating the dye lot and selling some later on eBay but I'm totally in love with the roving and I think I will make matching hats for myself and my boyfriend out of the yarn. :)

On we go, I'm thinking of calling this one Rainbow Sherbert because that is what the colors remind me of. It's a mohair and faux cashmere (nylon) mix. About 50/50. I carded the mohair and faux cashmere together lightly and then spun it to a medium weight. There are about 108 yards on this skein and it's just lovely. The faux cashmere really makes it light and the mohair keeps the softness and texture. I want to keep it but I don't really know what I would make so this one may end up on eBay (plus I need the money *smile*). I need to start dying more yarn at a time so that I can end up with more yardage. 100 yards just isn't enough for me.

Here's a detail shot of Rainbow Sherbert.
5 comments:
please, pass me a napkin!!
i'm drooling all over that autumn harvest!
beeeeeeeeeeeautiful!
~s
(aka~pippi)
Thanks so much! When I first started dyeing with kool-aid it was a disaster, I had tons of rust colored yarn because all of the color sank to the bottom and just mingled together there, LOL! I've found the trick is to wet the fiber and just sprinkle the powder on top. Then I press it in with a plastic spoon to make sure it is wet and pop it in the microwave. Quick and easy. I LOVE using kool-aid as well since it is non-toxic (or at least less toxic than acid dye) and I don't have to worry about poisoning myself or my daughter. *smile*
Wow, I just happened by on the Navigation Bar. Being one who appreciates all things beautiful, I just got to say, "Thank You" YOur photos, themselves, could be sold in a gallery. I'll be back from time to time.
Peace.
~that is why i prefer kool aid and food coloring, etc... (you know, kids will find and get into anything they aren't supposed to have.)
i do sprinkiling with the strait powder too, one method i've used with good luck, was spraying (more like misting) the powder with vinegar. (i think that extra kick of acid helps..maybe, maybe not...)
~i was wondering have you tried the food color paste stuff?? they make black! (which, i'm sure you are well aware of, is so hard to achieve with any consistancy.. with koolaid, not to mention, it uses an ass-load of the stuff...)..
what are you planning for "tropical storm"?
i can hardly wait to see how that works up.
~regards
s
(aka pippi)
You know I have not tried the paste stuff yet for dyeing. I saw in the dyeing fiber community where someone had posted a link online where you could buy some and I'm definately thinking I'm going to order some. I really want to get some black dye, especially as we move toward the fall and winter because I know I'm going to want some darker colors. I hear Wilton makes a black liquid food coloring as well and I keep meaning to look that up.
As for the kool-aid you are right, it takes massive amounts of the stuff to get decent colors. I try to buy it when they have it on sale at the local grocery for 10 packs for $1, LOL. My boyfriend always looks at me like I'm crazy because when it's that cheap I usually buy about $20 worth, that 200 packets of kool-aid! I'm going to try misting with vinegar as you suggested. I usually just soak the fiber in vinegar, salt and water and then nuke it. I'm not all that sure that I need the salt but it seems to me (and this may just be me) that the colors come out more vibrant when I add the non-iodized salt to the water than when I don't. Who knows? lol.
For tropical storm, since I dyed up such a small amount I'm think of making a skinny scarf in garter stitch, something simple where I look at the pretty colors and feel the soft merino all day *smile* I'm need to post some pictures of my knitting. It's just so embarassing that I have like 10 projects in progress and none of them are close to being done! It's nice to look at other blogs though and see that I'm not the only one with this sickness. LOL
Post a Comment