Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Is it me...

Or has the entire world of knitting started spinning their own yarn? Now don't get me wrong, I think it's great that more people want to learn how to spin. My gripe is that as things become more popular, the prices for them go up, up, up. When I started knitting I thought of all the things I wanted to make and all the nice yarns I wanted to make them with and then felt discouraged because I couldn't afford any of those yarns. So I turned to spinnning. It was much cheaper to buy the wool and dye it myself and then I could buy small bits of luxury fibers and add those in. I thought great, now I can afford my kntting obsession. But I'm noticing now that as more and more people learn to spin, the prices for fiber have been going up and up. I guess we live in a capitalist society and as long as business sees a way to make an extra buck, it's going to do just that but it kinda sucks for me personally because I find that I'm making my way right back to step one. I can't afford to knit with the fibers that I like! Ugh! I've got a drum carder on lay-away (still) and hopefully when I get it out of hock and can start buying raw fleece and carding it myself (much cheaper!).

Ok, rant over. I forgot to mention yesterday that we went to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It was WONDERFUL! If you have not already seen this movie I highly reccomend it. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have the type of chemistry that I'm not used to seeing in color films. This movie was a treat from begining to end. I'm not even that upset that it cost roughly half a million dollars (or a pound of roving) to go see this film. I might even go see it again *smile*

I should have some actuall knitting content soon. I have been knitting (and spinning) I just haven't been taking that many pictures of it lately. I started on the faroese flower shawl last week cuz I just adored all of the ones I've seen on other peoples blogs so I had to give it a try. I figure if I ever get marrie again I can wear this to my wedding *smile*

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm going to see Mr & Mrs Smith on Saturday. We're having a Chick Flick day ... lunch and a movie with a couple of friends. We do this about once a month - tons of fun!

Leslie Shelor said...

Chick Flick day was Friday for me; we picked Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants instead of the Smiths and loved that one. But Mr. & Mrs. Smith are on the list!