It was so nice to come into work this morning and see a package waiting for me. Being the super lovely person that she is, my secret pal went to my amazon wish list and sent me a copy of Junior Knits by Debbie Bliss. I think I'm going to start with the Molly bolero because I thought it was sooo cute on Froggy's DD. Plus, I already have some cotton ease in my stash that I can use.
I've been how sick (again) for the last two days and I didn't really want to come in today but I knew if I didn't Monday would be pure hell, and plus I was hoping some yarn I had ordered last week from elann had arrived *smile* My co-worker and I spent the better part of the morning drooling over the patterns in this book. They are sooooo cute and they go up to a size for a 10-12 year old. How great is that?!? One thing I would like to beat Mrs. Bliss about the head for however, is the fact that she does not include finished schematics in her patterns. How the hell do I know what dimensions to use for blocking. Oh well, the patterns are so nice I will figure something out.
I also decided to use my rose garden yarn to make a different pattern for the little monster. I was fretting about the colors matching up for the fronts of my cardigan when I remembered I have a whole stack of knitting pure & simple top down patterns in my knitting library. The pattern I'm using is the top down jacket, but I decided to make it without pockets. This is how far I got with the skien that I posted below. Now I just need to finish spinning up the rest of this fiber so I can finish knitting this little cardigan. DD loves it, she just kept asking, "Is this pink?" LOL!
Here is a picture of the back of the cardigan. I LOVE it!
I also have to share with you all a Moebius scarf my co-worker made. I had to cut my head out of the picture cuz I look like the walking dead today. Have you seen Dawn of the Dead? The new really gross one? Well, if you have then you pretty much know what I look like today. I totally NEED one of these. She knit this up on size US 10.5 needles using Reynolds Odyssey. Too bad I can't afford to have one of these lovely scarfs for myself. She ended up using 5 balls, and at $10 a ball that's out of my price range. Pretty much any and all new yarn is out of my price range right now.
Here is a close up of the colors. It has very subtle striping. Lovely yarn. One day...
I'm so broke right now it's not even funny. My student loan payments just became due and since I won't be going to grad school until the fall I have to pay them at least til then. Right now my total payments per month are supposed to be $700. How the hell do they expect people to pay this?!!! Especially people who just recently got their degree. Granted, my situation is complicated by the fact that I'm a single mom and I can't move back home with my parents, but still. Are we all supposed to live at home and not have kids for 10 years while we pay back the government! Ughh! Thankfully, I have been told I can consolidate my loans, then my payments will go down dramatically but I'll be paying this crap for the next 30 years, and I don't even want to tell you about how much the intrest will be at the end of 30 years... I'm sure you can imagine.
So now I'm trying to come up with ways to go to grad school for free. I just cannot stomach the idea of borrowing any more money. I'm going to have to find a job at a company that will pay for it or something, this is just ridiculous.
Ok, that's my rant for the day. I'm going to finally leave my office now and go home and spin, or get in the bed and put my head under the covers and listen to an audio book *smile* That sounds much more comforting.
8 comments:
At the beginning of Jan, Wildfiber in Santa Monica had some Odyssey 50% off. Just in case you or your secret pal wanted to call...
FUN! I keep stressing about what to send my Secret Pal! What a perfect gift you received! Your baby is the luckiest little girl in the world...all these potential projects with her name on them! I"m jealous!
and girl...I feel you on those student loans...grrr....
Hope you feel better, get some rest!
Hi Stacy;
I love your blog. I just needed to say it again. On the Student loan front. Susie Orbach of get rich blh blah blah says student loans are good debt as oposed to bad debt like a credit card. As she's already rich she doesn't understand that any debt still keeps you from buying esentials like food and fleece and spinning wheels. Hang in there.
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Me and the student loan people are still on bad terms, but I at least don't feel the need to get a gun and find out where they work and very politely ask if they could lower my payment amount, LOL! Plus my mom gave me $20 for yarn over the weekend. I swear this stuff is crack *smile*
Definitely look for a job with a company that will foot the bill for grad school. I know several people that did that. The company paid for the schooling and then gave them a rank pay increase once they finished it. If you can find it, it's a total score. Good luck!
Wow, that Rose Garden yarn looks amazing! As does that moebius scarf. At $10 skein though, all I can do is look! That's a pisser on the loans - they suck and I'm still paying mine back. I was able to refi mine though to get the payment down. Is that an option?
Hilari
Make Me
Grrl...I feel you on the 'Yarn is Crack' front too! How is it I have yarn that I can't wait to make projects out of, projects I can't wait to knit up, enough stuff for each season, in every color of the rainbow...a stash that should last me at least 6 months to a year, yet I'm itching to 'go shopping'? If only I didn't have to pay rent! I guess going to the LYS and 'molesting' the yarn will have to fulfill my fiber-addiction needs for now. So many beautiful things...thank God I don't know how to spin...
Well, I did talk to the student loan people about consolidating which should get my payments down to $100 for the first year. After that they will balloon again, but hopefully by that time I will be in school again and I will get an in-school deferment. I plan to take a very looooong time to finish my graduate degree, LOL. The longer I'm in school, the longer my payments are deferred.
I hope to post a picture of the scarf I started during the superbowl with my mom-gifted crack (ahem...) I mean yarn *smile* I tell you, it made me feel so much better to have that yarn in my hands on Sunday. I'm sick, sick I tell ya!
Post a Comment