Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Finished (and almost finished) Objects!


I have another finished object (well, I still need to weave in the ends, but it's basically done). This is the triangle scraf wrapped all around my neck that I made for my BF's mom. Now I just need to try to finish a hat to go with it and I'm done with this gift. Feels nice to finish some stuff *smile*

Here is an almost finished object. It is a multi-directional scarf that I am making for myself. The yarn is my own handspun. It's from the very first yarn that I attemped to dye on my own (notice the nice rust tones, LOL!). I think i will add some fringe or curly cues to the bottoms when this is done but I think it's quite nice. This should be completely done by tonight (if I don't start the ribby cardi instead ;) ).

And, if you can believe it, this is one of my daughters school pictures. They have really improved on these things, huh? I don't even think my pre-school took school pictures, let alones one's this nice. I might just have to send out Xmas cards this year, these are too cute to keep to myself.

2 comments:

Leisel said...

I love your multi-directional scarf. I've seen lots of examples of it, and yours is my favorite so far. So not fair that I can't run out and buy yarn like that! It's gorgeous.

- Leisel

superstahr said...

Thanks! When I first dyed this yarn I was really disappointed. It was supposed to come out in shade of yellow and blue and orange, ect. But instead, all the colors pooled at the bottom of my crock pot and turned into shades of rust. After I learned how to add the correct dye amounts, and made some much brighter colored yarn and roving, I found my self coming back to this initial "disaster" *smile* When I saw the multi-directional scarf pattern, I knew they were meant to be.

If you want to try dyeing this color yourself you can do what I did. Put some yarn or roving (soaked in salt, water and vinegar) in your crockpot (to be used for dyeing only) and add drizzle on some red, yellow, blue and black dye. If you manage to put a little too much dye while at the same time leaving a little too much water in your fiber, then if you keep agitating it in the pot because you just can't wait to see how the colors will turn out, you too can have some rust colored yarn! LOL!