Friday, October 14, 2005

It's been a long time...

I shouldn't a left you, without a dope beat to step to...

Ok, I was feeling silly *smile* I've been sick for a few days and doped up on cold medication, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I haven't done much knitting this week but I did do some spinning and put some new yarn in the shop. I like the pretty colors in this one but I know I won't wear it. I dyed the roving a while ago and just never got around to spinning it. This is about 300 yards of DK weight BFL. Yummy!

I also took a picture of my packaging of the center pull balls. I don't know how well this is going to work out though so I'm still trying to think of better ways to label them. What to you think?


I also had some fun with a sampler of roving that I ordered from The Bellweather. I subscribed to The Rhyme Times which gets me samples of Crosspatch Creations and Three Bags Full roving. Pretty cool. I got a bunch of samples last week so I spun them all up together and plied them with some silk. I ended up with a DK weight skein of about 68 yards. I have no idea what I will ever be able to do with this but I do think it purdy *smile*

The last little bit of fiber fun I was able to accomplish was the washing and (beginning) of the spinning of that Rambouillet fleece I told you about. I'm tires so I'm going to let these pictures speak for themselves...



Right now I would say my loss is about 40% but the shorter fibers are still really nice and I think they would make a nice novelty yarn. You can see what the fluff (waste) looks like above. There's not much VM so I'm keeping all of the fluff to either spin on it's own later, or card with some other fibers to make a novelty yarn. The good stuff is really good. It's very soft and squishy. I'm spinning it to be about a DK or sport weight when 2-plied (don't know what it is with me and thin yarn lately) and I think I should get a lot of use out of this fleece.

I'm a little disappointed with the Border Leicester fleece that I bought. The color is beautiful and it's really soft but it seems to be infested with dandruff. I have no idea how to get this stuff out and I'm a little hesitant to knit with it. I've emailed the seller to find out what she suggests but I'm starting to think I may have wasted my money *frown* If anyone out there has any tips I'd be happy to hear them.

2 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

Haven't been around in awhile; you're doing some great work! Love the colors!

Cheryl Goyer said...

I like the packaging. Seems as good as any I've seen. I'm curious though why you don't just leave the yarn in skeins? Are folks asking for it to be put up in center pull balls?

And the yarn is absolutely gorgeous! I really enjoy reading your fiber musings.