Thursday, March 08, 2007

She was the most important person I have ever known

I know I haven't blogged in a while and I have many, many knitting pictures that I could post but just never seem to find the time. Today I'm taking the time to blog about my Great-Grandmother who passed away this past Sunday.














(Grammy Hilda on her 94th birthday)

She was 94 years young and taught me all the important things there are to know in life. She took care of my grandmother, mother, me and my daughter when we were little. She gave us cookies and didn't tell our moms when we were bad. She paid us $10 to pick up pieces of paper off the floor and took too large bites of the pickles we bought with her money. She taught us never to talk bad about someone behind their back and never to talk bad about family at all. She kept us honest because you never wanted to do anything that you would be embarassed for her to find out and she made me proud to be a part of her.

(right to left: my mom, my grandmother and my great grandmother)

I honestly don't know what we'll do without her. I'll miss hearing about her exploits when she was younger. I'll miss being annoyed when she tells me the same story she's read in the paper for the 10th time in one day. I'll miss her yelling at me for not allowing her to give my daughter a cookie before dinner.

She was grateful for everything anyone did for her. Towards the end I was not only great-grand daughter but also nurse, maid, cook and sounding board. She used to thank me every time and vow that she would dance at my wedding to show how grateful she was. I'm not married yet but I know when the day comes she will be there, and I'll be happy to see her dance.



7 comments:

Christie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! How wonderful that you had the opportunity to know her, and how rich your life is because of her. She looks and sounds like she was a hoot!

Suzie said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. she sounds like a wonderful woman and she reminds me of my grandmother (who I lost in 2004). Take care and know she'll always live on in your life and heart!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Gramma Hilda lots of huggs for you--know that ladies like you make this world a better place and your memories and life's teachings will go on and live forever in everyone's hearts.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the loss of your Grammy Hilda. She sounds like a special lady.

Anonymous said...

Stacey,

So sorry to hear about your Grammy Hilda. My prayers are with you!

Take care!

Hilari

Leslie Shelor said...

What a treasure and blessing that you were able to know and love this wonderful woman! And wonderful that your daughter knew her, too, and she was able to treasure so many beautiful generations!

Anonymous said...

You have my condolences on the lost of such a wonderful person in your life. How special the photo of the 3 generations together at one time. Hold fast to the wonderful times and the love she left on your heart and she'll always be with you.