Sunday, January 23, 2011

What had happened was...


So, I have spent the last week or so laying in a hospital bed in my mothers living room all because I wanted to clean out my house. I had already carried out 3 big bags of trash and had made my way to the microwave. You see, I've had a crappy microwave for about 5 years now. Two weeks ago I finally got a shiny new, high powered microwave. I was so happy I took it home and hooked it up and the old microwave sat in the box on the floor of my kitchen for two weeks. Yeah, two weeks. So this day I decided I simply had to have it out. I made it across my balcony, down the 15 concrete steps to the first floor of my building and down the hall to the 3 steps that led to the trash bin. Somehow at this point I tripped (on one of the THREE steps) fell and broke both bones in my ankle and dislocated the darn thing.

Since I was home alone with my kids I had to call out to my 10 year old to come down and call 911 for me. She was, of course, in tears to see me laying there like that. I then had to ask her to go up and ask one of the neighbors to sit with her and my 5 month old until my mom or sister could get there. Every moment from that point on has been painful, depressing, sad and just hard.

I ended up needing surgery to repair the bone and spent 3 days in the hospital. The doctor says that I won't be able to put any weight on the leg for at least 6 weeks, then it will be another 6 weeks after that before I can drive. I just started back at work at the beginning of January and now I'm back out on disability, sigh... I just hope they don't decide they don't need me while I'm out.

So, I'm learning to cope, I've started knitting again and I've found that way more people love and care for me than I would have guessed. That's a nice feeling and has helped tremendously. I have to say thanks to everyone who has sent me well wishes, flowers and prayers. I plan to update the blog with my crafty endeavors and chronicle my process of healing. I'm hoping it will help to keep me sane. Here's to hoping!

No comments: